Farthest archery target hit (male)

The farthest accurate shot in archery under World Archery conditions is 283.47 m (930.04 ft), achieved by Matt Stutzman (USA) at the TPC Craig Ranch, McKinney, Texas, USA on 9 December 2015.

The top Paralympic athlete – who was a member of the US Paralympic Archery Team in 2012 and went on to win a silver medal – completed the shot under FITA conditions.

Born without arms, the 'Armless Archer' taught himself to expertly use a bow and arrow using his feet and shoulders.

The previous record holder for this title was an able-bodied person.

Feeling confident before the attempt, Stutzman said: “I have lot of dreams. One of my dreams is to break the world record, and that dream will come true today.”

He continued: “I see myself as just an able-bodied person … I decided that since [my arms] weren’t going to grow back, I was just going to go forward with everything and not let anything get in my way or stop me from my goals.”

The record attempt took place during a three-day MJP Pro Intensive Training program alongside other athletes including paratriathlete Melissa Stockwell, Tatyana McFadden (a four-time Paralympian in track and field who has notched up 11 Paralympic medals), and Lex Gillette (who holds the current Paralympic record in the long jump).

Comments